Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gifts From the Kitchen - Lemon Curd


This week's gift from the kitchen is a recipe for lemon curd passed along to me by my childhood friend and her mother.  They are English and exposed me to many things in the kitchen I had never tasted or cooked.  Most were delicious - with the exception of the liver and onions they ate for dinner every Thursday.  That was the night K and I usually convinced Mom to let her eat at our house!

Anyway, here is Ann's recipe.  If you are not already familiar with canning, please find a reliable resource for directions.  That would not be me.  I am always nervous about killing some people, so even after I can this, I still keep it in the fridge. 

Lemon Curd

This is a lovely little treat, beautiful and sweet, that I love to give as gifts. It's delicious on toast, scones, ice cream, or as a filling.


* 3/4 stick of butter
* 9 oz sugar
* 3 lemons, grated and juiced
* 3 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients into top of double boiler - stir constantly until thick. Strain into sterilized pots and cover immediately. Be patient! It takes a bit. This is a good time to listen to a podcast.

All ingredients when you start

After 5 minutes

After about 25 minutes.  It should be thick and shiny.

Makes two 8oz jelly jars. I double or triple this - why not while I'm at it? - to give as gifts.  It also trades well.  We have a friend who uses it to fill her meringue cookies but hates to make the lemon curd.  I can't get the meringue cookies to work, so we swap. 

If you're playing along, why don't you link up?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...