Thursday, September 1, 2011

August Book List

Even with the start of school and football, I managed to finish five books this month - mostly because I could not put down The Hunger Games trilogy and devoured them all in less than a week!

First I read A Good Hard Look by Ann Napolitano.  You know how some books are recommended to you by so many different people that you just KNOW you have to read it?  That's how this was.  Joshilyn wrote a 3Q with Ann, and then someone else mentioned it, and then my mom passed along her copy and high praise.  I was a little wary of this book.  It's a novel with Flannery O'Connor as a central character.  Yeah, but it totally works.  Read it.  It's excellent.

Disobedience by Jane Hamilton.   I picked this up at the library because I loved A Map of the World and The Book of RuthDisobedience is about a seventeen year old son, Henry, who stumbles across his mother's emailed documentation of her affair.  I'm not sure if it was just too serious of a book for August or if it was really that bad, but it took forever to get into this and finish it.  Maybe it hit a little close to home because my son is about the same age, and Henry spends most of the book counting the minutes until he leaves for college, hoping never to look back or be a part of his family again.  Whatever it was, this one isn't on my list of favorites.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was required reading for The Bear.  When I picked it up at Barnes & Noble, the clerk assumed it was for me.  Apparently this trilogy is a written-for-kids-but-loved-by-adults in a Harry Potter kind of way.  Everyone in the family but Gracie and I have read them, and I finally got around to it.  Just like Harry Potter, I couldn't wait for the next one and went straight from the last page of one to the first page of the next!  Add Catching Fire and Mockingjay to my list.

That puts me at forty-three books in thirty-four weeks.  Only nine to go to keep my New Year's resolution.  It leaves me wondering if I've ever kept one for a whole year before?  Have you?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...