Friday, March 15, 2013

FMQ Friday - Getting the Hang of It

Free Motion Quilting Friday

Today is Free Motion Quilting Friday over at Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project.

The rules are simple:
  1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ). 
  2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back to Leah's blog, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar. 
  3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect!  


This week I finished practicing a bunch of the stitches that Leah has been using over on the Express Your Love project.  I would like to turn this design into a larger version with different colored thread for Easter.

After reading about Leah's dissatisfaction with her quilt, I am wondering if I should pick one variegated thread like I did here, or choose multiple soft pastels.  Or I could quilt it almost all in white and make the cross and the banner gold.  I think what works in my sample - despite the blue/green thread - is that the stitches really stand out when they are all in the same thread.  

Also, I don't like zippling.  Especially micro-zippling.  But I am starting to really get a feel for my FMQing.  I don't think I had any thread breaks or nests on this at all! 



7 comments:

  1. It's funny to me that what works for some people just doesn't for me at all. I LOVE micro-zippling! But there are tons that I can't seem to make pretty no matter what. Practice pieces are great for testing it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is beautiful. I love variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you made an awesome piece. Love the message. Your quilting looks great with the variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so very pretty. I really love the idea around it and the feeling created by the thread and FMQ designs. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work... it reminds me of Zen-doodles. I think the variegated thread works well here since you're using the same thread throughout the entire piece and your background is a solid color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece and think it would be stunning done with pastels too. Or white on white...or any way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your creation! Absolutely beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...