Friday, July 26, 2013

FMQ and Finished Friday - Christmas Star Table Topper

Free Motion Quilting Friday

Today is Free Motion Quilting Friday over at Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project.

The rules are simple:
  1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ). 
  2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back to Leah's site, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar. 
  3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect!  

Sunday night during Dexter I finally finished stitching down the binding on this very old UFO.  You are all probably as glad to see it finished as I am, since I'm sure you're sick of looking at it!  For a quilt that gave me so much angst, I am truly happy with it and proud of it and excited to put it out on my big square kitchen table the day after Thanksgiving.


For the skinny border, I decided just to stitch in the ditch.  I thought about doing the string of pearls type quilting, but the people I've asked all say they mark the bajillion tiny circles and, quite frankly, I don't have it in me to look at this thing for that much longer.  I suppose I could always go back and add them.

For the last border, I did my new favorite cursive L design.  (I really need to look up the actual name for that one!).

Thanks so much for your encouraging words and for cheering me on while I dragged this quilt across the finish line.  I couldn't wouldn't have done it without you!

Details: This pattern is LoneStar Tree Skirt #109 by Helen Thorn, 1993. This is a PineTree Lodge Design.


Linking up today with lots of awesome bloggers, including Finish It Up Friday with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts, Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday and, for the pure fun of it, Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?




    4 comments:

    1. What a fabulous finish!! I love the clamshell quilting for the cream areas, and the ditched-only thin stop border is a perfect rest between fabrics/quilting motifs. (But every marks their pearls??? That would drive me nuts, too!) I just keep a given everyday-object size in mind while doing mine - peas, dimes, and at the most I'll draw in rail lines as guides if I need them to stay in a straight line. So nice to see this finish at TGIFF. It's got to make you smile hugely each time you see it now. :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. I call it finished! ;-) Especially becuase there is a busy fabric. I have noticed on a quilt that all of the hard FMQ work is almost invisible on a busy fabric. (I am still working on it) You can only see it from the back!
      I hope you will have a "great sewing fun" weekend!
      Esther
      esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hello Jenny,

      It's a beautiful star, and I'm so impressed you have it finished now so you can forget about it for a while and get it out again at Christmas.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for joining the conversation!

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...