Monday, November 28, 2011

Going to Guild - Green Challenge Winners

It's time for the annual guild challenge show!

In case you haven't been paying attention are a new reader, this year's guild challenge was a green challenge.  There were no size or fabric requirements; the only rule is that there had to be some element of the quilt that you could defend as being "green."

Throughout the year I brought in several examples of entries to get the creative juices flowing.  One month I brought in Bonnie Hunter's book Scraps & Shirttails.  One month I brought in my denim quilt.  One month I brought in an item made with bamboo batting, and another time I brought a UFO that had pieced batting scraps and a pieced back from my stash.

Here are the winners:

Third place went to Lene.  This beauty is made out of her late father's silk ties.  She used red and white silk for the centers and the opposite sides of the log cabins, and silk batting.  She said her machine has never sounded so happy!  Isn't it a beauty?


Second place went to Ben.  When his wife Jackie was alive, one of her favorite things to do was to go thrift shopping.  She was the green queen, and loved to come up with new uses for old clothes.  Aprons from skirts, tote bags from drapes or upholstery samples...and quilts.  This pastoral scene reflects a time when everything was used and reused, before it was cheaper to replace than to repair.  I believe he said all of the pieces in this wool quilt were from Jackie's adventures in thrifting.


First place went to Vicki.  For her artist's statement she wrote:  "This quilt has 2330 pieces of more than 250 men's ties and 30 yards of fabric.  It has over 200,000 hand stitches and has taken more than three years to complete.  I wish to thank my husband for accompanying me to all of the Goodwill stores during our travels to buy men's ties, and also for his contribution of his and all of his relatives' and friends' ties."  


Isn't it amazing?  I wish I had taken more pictures close up.  This whole thing is made up of Cathedral Stars.  I've watched Vicki work on it for what seems like forever.  In person, it almost glows with the gorgeous fabrics and textures.  It is truly a work of art.

And, no, you aren't imagining it.  The WannaBees rocked the house for this year's challenge!  I'm so proud to be able to work and learn alongside these incredibly talented quilters.

Tomorrow I'll share some honorable mentions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...