Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Graduate

Tonight we went out to celebrate my 8th grader's graduation. As a surprise, I booked The Captain's Table at P.F. Chang's. It is a table behind the bar, practically in the kitchen, where you get to watch all of the action. It is one of B's favorite places, and he loves to cook, so it was a very cool experience. It was also very LOUD. I'm not sure I'd want to sit there every time since conversation was tricky, but it was fun to do at least once. This was our view:
After we ate far too many dumplings and everything else on the menu, it was present time. He was excited to get a trip to NYC this summer with one set of grandparents, and the lacrosse goal he'd been saving for from the other. Then it was time for the big box from Mom and Dad. I figured he knew what it was, since he had been in and out of my room while I worked on it a hundred times.

But no, when he saw the matching pillowcase on top he said, "You got me sheets?"

We don't call him Captain Oblivious for nothing, you know.
Finally the light bulb went on, and he was so appreciative of the quilt. He couldn't believe I had made it for him, and went right up to put it on his bed when we got home. It was a great night.
Here's what the finished product looked like:
I'll try to get the rest of the tutorial written and up soon. It was a super easy quilt to make and went together in no time. It only took 6 yards of fabric for the front, and would be great for shopping out of your stash.

Have a safe and happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect quilt for a grade 8 grad!
    Very masculine looking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...