Sunday, October 6, 2013

Holiday Grand Plan - Week 6 - The Kids' Rooms


Holiday Grand Plan

It's Week 6 of the Holiday Grand Plan, and time to deep clean the kids' rooms. This comes not a moment too soon, since my boy will be home at the end of the month and his room could use some freshening up.

I'm sure there are parents who, when their children leave for college, keep the room an immaculate shrine to their absent student.  Over here, however, I just closed the door.  Apparently The Bear has found his brother's room to be a perfect dumping ground for clothes, books, shoes, and sporting equipment that he is ready to give away, throw away, or just doesn't want to put away.

I can't have Deuce come home for his first visit from college and find that mess! 

As for the rest of our assignments, I didn't get any shopping done this week, but I overheard and wrote down on my spreadsheet a great idea for each kid and The Pit Boss.  I try to shop for them closer to the actual holiday in case they change their minds or I come up with something better, but that whole writing it down thing is essential.  Think you're going to remember your great idea by the time December rolls around?  That's crazy talk!

I'm off the hook for a freezer meal.  Last week I had trouble finding the beef short ribs for the Korean Ribs recipe.  That has happened before, so when I found them this time I bought double and froze a batch (everything but the jalapeno peppers). 

I'm starting to get in the spirit of autumn, so I think I'll bake up some pumpkin bread and muffins to stick in the freezer for those cool mornings ahead.  For some reason I have a lot of canned pumpkin in my pantry, and that's a good way to use it up.

Here's the recipe I use:
  • 3 eggs
  •  1 lb. can solid pack pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
  • 3/4 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C water
  • 2 1/2 C all purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, pumpkin, oil, and water.  In a separate bowl, sift together remaining ingredients.  Fold dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture.

Bake in two greased 9"x5"x3" loaf pans at 325 degrees for 1 hour.  Reduce heat to 275 degrees and bake for 30 more minutes or until bread tests done.

You can also bake the entire mixture in a greased 13" x 9" pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

How's your grand plan coming along?



1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for the nudge. I just tried out your pumpkin bread recipe and it is terrific. That will go in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...