Thursday, August 29, 2013

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - Celtic Cross

Quiltin Jenny

It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.


Last week I promised to show you another quilt I made using the fusible bias tape and the Celtic Quilting Technique from this book:


I'm not really telling the story in order, but in 2002 I made a quilt to donate to my kids' school for their annual auction.  I'll tell you about that one next week.  Remind me!

Anyway, I made a quilt for six years straight, and five of them raised over $2000 each!  It was very validating and had a very high work to glory ratio.


This quilt was made in 2004 with Deuce's third grade class.  It's hard to see, but the background of this quilt is all neutral fabric bricks.  On scattered pieces of plain muslin, I asked the kids to write a question to God.  These were absolutely precious and innocent and sometimes heartbreaking questions like:

"Dear God, how many galaxies are there?" [ed: that's my boy!]

"Dear God, why can you see me but I can't see you?"

"Dear God, why did you give us free will?"

"Dear God, why do people doubt you?"


It took a lot of organization and planning (STOP laughing!!) to make sure the design didn't go through any of the bricks with writing on them, but I did it.  It finished somewhere in the 70" square range, so this was also the largest quilt I had ever quilted on my machine at the time, and I was a wreck.

I'm still thrilled with how it came out, and it's still one of my very favorite quilts I've ever made.  A friend was the winner, and it makes me so happy to see it hanging in a place of honor in her home.


Link up below and let's see one of your blasts from the past.







2 comments:

  1. Love this quilt. The background fabrics are wonderful and what a great idea regarding the questions from your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt! I love minimal like things. The design in the center is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...