Monday, September 28, 2009

Quilt Shop Visit -Sweet Home Quilt Co, Conyers, GA

Thursday I had the "privilege" of driving an SUV full of 7th graders over to Madison, GA for a retreat. On my two hour drive home alone, I decided to channel Allison from Within a Quarter Inch, google "quilt shop" on my phone, and indulge in a little quilt shop therapy (in lieu of the alcohol others suggested). What a great idea!

(I apologize in advance for the quality of these pictures. I am having camera trouble and took all of these with my phone!)

I found the Sweet Home Quilt Company in Conyers. This beautiful 109 year old house is gorgeous enough to walk through and enjoy, even if it weren't filled with fabric! It took me several trips through just to take it all in. I love that they had samples everywhere, kits and bundles and patterns and ideas as far as the eye could see. But what made it so special was the way the house still looks like a house...

The antique hoosier, just like one my mom used to have...

The (still working) footed bathtub. The previous owner lives nearby and claims to have taken many baths in this tub. In the tub are "all or nothing" bundles from the end of the bolt at $5/yard.

The kitchen where baskets and jars hold notions, patterns, and fat quarter bundles...

And the iron bed that belonged to the owner's grandfather when he was a boy.

There were little touches all over that caught my eye. This window treatment from grapevine and antique hankies is so cute I might have to duplicate it!

A tiny hallway where a line of fabric and some notions are tucked away...and apparently the cat has come in from the rain!

The hooks for a display of purses and totes along the banister...

And finally the parlor where you check out. I restrained myself and didn't do too much damage, but oh the temptation! When I left, I felt so much more relaxed and ready for the rest of the trip home.

Next time you find yourself on a long drive, try doing a search for a shop. You never know when you will stumble across a gem like this that turns your whole day around.

1 comment:

  1. I *love* finding new quilt shops! I am so happy you had the time to do so. And after driving those kids around; retail has its rewards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...