Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cranberry Thanksgiving

This book is from when I was a little girl, younger than Gracie is.

I love this story for so many reasons:  I love Thanksgiving, I love cranberry bread, and I love the message about not judging a book by its cover.

I remember reading this with my mom as Thanksgiving approached and then making the "famous" cranberry bread recipe on the back of the book.  It freezes beautifully and makes a delightful breakfast on those chilly autumn mornings.

Grandmother's Famous Cranberry Bread
(Get Mother to help)
  • 2 C sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 C butter or margarine
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp grated orange peel
  • 3/4 C orange juice
  • 1 1/2 C light raisins
  • 1 1/2 C fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda into a large bowl.  Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.  Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice all at once; stir just until mixture is evenly moist.  Fold in raisins and cranberries.
Spoon into greased 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.

If you choose, you may substitute cranberries for the raisins to have an all cranberry bread. [This is what I do. - ed.]


Recipe tested by the Food Department of Parents' Magazine


3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a loaf in the oven! Can't wait to taste this! I ended up simmering craisins in OJ to avoid a trip to the store for cranberries. I figured it works to plump up raisins for cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in the oven and smells fabulous! I didn't have fresh or frozen cranberries, so I simmered craisins in OJ like I would for raisins in oatmeal cookies. Worked great! Can't wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...