Wednesday, August 14, 2013

WiP Wednesday - QOV Block Drive

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

I'm linking up with WiP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.

I get a little ADD on WiP Wednesday because I worry that you are bored with my Star Surround update or FMQing. 

Luckily Alycia can always get my mind racing with ideas, and today is no different.  She has just announced a big Quilts of Valor Block Drive with some fabulous prizes.

One more wedge done
I'm newly enamored with string piecing, but notice that I have lots and lots of blue strips.  I thought this would be a perfect way to keep my spider web blocks from being too blue.


I had some leftover muslin - just enough to make twelve 10" foundation squares - and a bunch of Kona snow 2 1/2' strips that I overcut from Matthew's Snips and Snails quilt.  I trimmed them down to 2" for the centers of these blocks.


Then I turned on the Julia Child episode of the History Chicks and started sewing!  I think these might have been more interesting if I had used more skinny strips and skewed a few of them, but when mixed in with the other blocks I'm sure they will be okay. 


My favorite thing about string blocks is how delightfully scrappy they are and how many different ways they can be laid out. 


Why not whip up some string blocks of your own and enter the drawings while helping wrap our veterans with a quilty hug?




1 comment:

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...