Saturday, February 11, 2017

Going to Guild - Christa Watson


Monday was guild night and our speaker was the fabulous Christa Watson of Christa Quilts


christa watson quiltin jenny chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class freemotion machine quilting
Not my best look, but I had been in a workshop all day!
FYI, my shirt was a gift from my mom.
It says "A Fat Quarter is not a Body Part."

Last Saturday Christa taught a workshop on machine quilting that I was able to join. I'm so glad there was a last minute opening and that I decided to cram one more thing into the weekend because it was totally worth it. 

christa watson chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class walking foot machine quilting

We experimented with the walking foot using decorative stitches. I kept this piece for future reference.

christa watson chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class walking foot machine spiral quilting

We also practiced making spirals with the walking foot. This is much easier on a 12" square than a giant quilt, but I love how it looks.

christa watson chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class free motion machine quilting switchbacks ribbon candy

Then we got into the free motion quilting. I decided to use some of my orphan blocks from the Modern Blocks Quilt Along as practice squares. This piece uses switchbacks and ribbon candy variations, which I found to be so much fun to quilt. These create gorgeous texture.

christa watson chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class free motion machine quilting switchbacks ribbon candy

Christa is a fabulous teacher and speaker. She is so funny and talks about a hundred miles an hour, so you get a lot of information for your time. I also love that she brought so many quilts to show us, because there is nothing like seeing them all in person. The texture is amazing, especially on some of the really simple piecing. 

christa watson chattahoochee evening stars quilt guild class free motion machine quilting BQF

I bought both of Christa's books, and was so excited later when I peeked at what she wrote. I have a new BQF! We've already made plans to see each other again in just a couple of weeks. Okay, so we're both going to QuiltCon, but still! 

If you get the chance to take a class with Christa, do not miss it! I can't wait to practice what I've learned.

1 comment:

  1. It was so fun getting to know you! Can't wait to see you at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...