Thursday, August 14, 2014

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - The Old Fashioned Way

Quiltin Jenny

It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.

Today's quilt is one I made back in 2001 for a new baby. This baby was extra special because her parents had suffered three miscarriages before her safe arrival. Their doctors were having some trouble pinpointing the exact problem and, just as they were about to start with some fairly invasive treatment, they found out that her mama was expecting her.

We rejoiced, and I set to work making a quilt. I decided to use all 1930s reproduction prints and plain muslin. The whole thing was just six simple pinwheel blocks, sashed in muslin and bordered with half square triangles. I did crosshatch quilting on my machine, and loved the simplicity of it.  I named it The Old Fashioned Way.


In honor and memory of the baby's three siblings, I also made three miniature versions of the quilts to donate to SHARE Atlanta's 5Bs Project. These blankets, bonnets, booties, buntings, and bracelets are donated to local hospitals with a "Survival Kit" for newly bereaved parents. 

I never realized how many of my quilts were made for these subsequent babies after a loss until I started keeping track of them this way. I suppose that they were at least as therapeutic for me to make as they were for their families to receive. Once again, quilting heals us.


Now I want to see your blast from the past.  Link up and let us all see!  P.S. Did you know that you can use pictures from your Instagram feed with InLinkz now?
























1 comment:

  1. Simple quilt, but special gift. Reminds me that simple is sometimes best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...