Thursday, July 7, 2011

Almost Over It

I haven't been blogging or quilting (or cleaning or cooking) much in the last six weeks because I've been totally wrapped in the Casey Anthony trial.


On Tuesday, when she was found not guilty (which doesn't mean innocent!), I had a little temper tantrum.  I was pissy all day.  My husband poured me a stiff drink, and I drowned my sorrows with ice cream and Fluffernutter.

Of course, on Wednesday, I wasn't feeling so great.  I realized that I owed a penalty FQ for failing to finish a UFO in the 2nd quarter for the Stashbusters Challenge.  I determined to put it behind me and move on to happier and more positive things.  I spent a lot of time online, randomly following links and threads and tweets, looking for my motivation.

This is where the saying, "Be careful what you wish for!" comes from.  I was catching up on Stashbuster messages and came across a link to the Paper Panache Fairy Quilt Godmother pattern.   Now, I have never been a paper piecing fan, but this is just too stinking cute.  You answer some questions and your Fairy Quilt Godmother appears!

Mine is named Blokjoyelle.  She is almost finished.  I have started on the most complicated section several times and decided I needed a good night's sleep and steadier hands before I give it another shot.  Here's what I have so far:


Yep, those are some tee-niny pieces!  I'll admit they give me pause, especially this last section with they eyes, and bring to mind the words of my Stashbusting sister, Quiltabeast

I read patterns the same way I read science fiction. 
I get to the end and think, 'Well, that's not going to happen.'


But I realized that this pattern was just what I needed.  It wasn't mindless strip piecing, or FMQing where it helps to get into the zone.  This pattern required concentration.  It required focus.  It required an entire fabric chart!


In the end it was just what I needed.  I turned off the TV and told twitter to stop texting me.  I put aside my sad, angry, sick thoughts about justice and truth and fairness.  I focused solely on the tiny scraps of fabric and the knowing smile on my Fairy Quilt Godmother's face and once again, let quilting heal me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...