Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Pain in the Boston Butt

Do you ever have days that just feel like a magnet for activities? Like your calendar is already full, and the sheer weight of it all is attracting every other appointment, birthday party, detention, and make up lacrosse game (from that weekend that it snowed and you were so thankful for the respite - yeah, it's payback time.)?? Like a black hole??? What a pain.

I have about one of those a week, and have finally come up with a foolproof dinner that everyone will eat and beats the drive-through lane on calories, cost, and mommy guilt hands down. So, being the nice blogger that I am, I thought I'd share.

It's my "famous" pulled pork, which just might be the easiest crock pot recipe on the planet. I did this one day in desperation, and it has become one of my family's favorite meals. Add that to the fact that it is easy and Boston Butt goes on sale about every third week, and we have a winner! Serve with nice rolls to make pulled pork sandwiches, some coleslaw or a tossed salad, and whatever other fixin's are in the pantry or fridge. I have wandered every end of the spectrum, from gourmet Asian coleslaw to a lame half-empty bag of potato chips. It's still their favorite.

The secret to getting that smoky flavor, normally missing from slow cooker pulled pork, is to put a little bit of Liquid Smoke and water in the bottom of your crock pot before you put in the Boston Butt (3-4lbs). Then top with your favorite barbecue sauce, either bottled or homemade. I have tried both and honestly cannot tell the difference. Our favorite is honey barbecue flavor, but I have gotten to the point where I just buy whatever is on sale. No one seems to care. I put about half the bottle in and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Cole slaw is a must, and my 14 year old will gladly show you how to top your pulled pork sandwich with it. Here's a recipe I got from Lynn in case you don't have a favorite of your own:

Lynn's Coleslaw
2 bags broccoli slaw mix
2 Tbsp grated onion
2 cups mayonnaise
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cups Dijon style mustard
1/4 cider vineger
1 or 2 Tbsp celery seed
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper

Mix dressing ingredients, then add to slaw. Serve after 2 hours or next day.

If you're looking for more slow cooker recipes for the rest of your insane days, try A Year of CrockPotting for literally hundreds more.

Here's hoping we all have a nice, uneventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...