Thursday, September 23, 2010

What are you reading?


I've been sucked in to all of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books.  They lived up to the hype.  I can't believe there won't be another one! In a way it's a relief, though, because now I've read them and can get back to my life.  You know a book is good when you are reading it every possible minute - while brushing your teeth or stirring the sauce.  Warning:  they are graphically violent.  As a true crime and crime fiction junkie, I'm not usually bothered by such, but these left an impression on even my jaded brain.

I also caught up with Phillippa Gregory and The Red Queen.   It told the same story from the opposite perspective from her last one, The White Queen, about the Wars of the Roses.  It makes me want to read more about the history behind the princes in the tower.  I love these books, love how the history comes alive and the characters seem so real.  I've learned more about the history of England this way than in all of my schooling.  I'm sure there are points that have been fictionalized to the point of inaccuracy, but the basic order of things and how certain parts of our own nation's laws came about are fascinating in this style. 

Speaking of books, Sara Gruen, the author of Water for Elephants, has a new book out called Ape House.  I haven't gotten my hands on this one yet, but you can win a signed copy on Joshilyn Jackson's blog (which you should be reading anyway.  She's a scream.)  I absolutely loved Water for Elephants, and read it when my Gram was in her decline.  It gave me a new perspective on her life and the people who cared for her.  I can't wait to read this new story!

What are you reading?

3 comments:

  1. I loved both the Larsson books and Ape House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love getting into a book I just can't put down, but if I have too many of those in a row, I get exhausted, lol!

    I'm currently reading Secrets of a Mysterious Older Woman by Constance Feathers. This woman is awesome! The book is her memoirs of her life post divorce, and she tells it with humor, excitement and inspiration. Highly recommended!

    Thanks for your post! I'll have to look into the Sara Gruen books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do join Goodreads. You can keep track of your to read and read lists and see reviews your friends write. It is great. I am on a bit of a Rosamunde Pilcher binge right now. I needed some niceness in my life. I am also trying to catch up on some magazine reading.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...