Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bound

I've been steadily binding the last quilt for the show - nothing like a deadline to get a procrastinator to work!  We've been having a few days of spectacular weather here in the ATL, and I've taken my work outside over this long weekend.  Is there any greater bliss than sitting by the pool, quilting and watching your children play?

Anyway, I was thinking about making a tutorial for how I join the ends of my binding.  I went over to YouTube to see what's already out there, and came across this absolutely great video.  Her camera work is excellent (compared to my jerky shots), her instructions easy to understand, and even after fifteen years I picked up a new tip.  So why do all that work when I can just give you a link?



There are a few very minor differences.  She doesn't show bias binding, which I was taught was the gold standard.  I cut my bindings at 2 1/4"-2 1/2" because I find that the 2" she uses is sometimes a little tight.  She suggests using thread that matching the backing, while I prefer to match the binding - in my experience that's what shows, but YMMV.  She also pins and marks a lot more than me because, as you know, I'm lazy and far from a perfectionist.  But I do love the idea of the little "pocket" so you don't have to join the ends perfectly. 

The other thing I found from looking on YouTube is that there are a million different ways to bind a quilt, some of them way more complicated and tedious than necessary.  How do YOU do it?

2 comments:

  1. I know a lot of people only use bias binding but I only do if I need to do curves or there is a neat stripe that looks best on the diagonal. I also use thread that matches the binding, not the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Connecting Threads "bumpless" binding video! I have no idea how people figured out how to do this from a book or what - I'm more visual. Still perfecting this technique.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgX_gGJYEac

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...