Sunday, September 26, 2010

Holiday Grand Plan Week 5 - Master Bath Week

I'm not doing so hot on my Holiday Grand Plan. I worked a few days last week, used another freezer dinner (so glad I made so much tomato sauce!), and didn't do anything to get my office or my bedroom cleaned up. Buying 1/8th of my gift list? Hahahaha! Good one!
Let's move along to Week 5:
  • Deep Clean the Master Bath and Linen Closet
  • Clean out toys for donation; make list of toy gift ideas.  
  • Check wardrobe.  What special occasions will your family need to dress for?  What items need to be purchased or borrowed?  
  • Don't forget your freezer meal, goodies to share, and buying 1/8 of your gift list.

Luckily we did a pretty good deep clean of the toys and kids' stuff this summer, and gave away a couple of carloads.  I try to do that before school starts each year, so it's looking pretty good.  As for our wardrobe, we are not fancy people when it comes to the holidays.  If my boys put on a shirt with a collar, I'm good.  Grace will need something for her winter piano recital and the Father/Daughter dance, so I will watch the sales.

Also, Mom and I usually shop every week together.  She's back in town, so I hope to get going this week.

How are you coming along with the Plan?  As far behind as me or on a roll?

Freezer Friendly Meal of the Week - Marinated Flank Steak
I don't know how many of you grill during the fall and winter, but we use our gas grill virtually year round here in GA.  I like having something that I can pull out on one of those bright, sunny fall days when all you want to do is be outside in the autumn beauty.
I look for flank steaks on sale and buy two or three at a time. 
  • 1 1/2 lb flank steak
  • 1 C vegetable oil
  • 1/2 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 C soy sauce
  • 1/4 C red wine
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 Tbsp minced ginger root OR 1 tsp ground ginger
Mix all ingredients except steak in a heavy duty Ziploc freezer bag and mix well.  Trim fat, if needed, and score both sides of the steak with criss-crossed lines. Put steak in bag, seal tightly pressing all of the excess air out, and freeze.

To cook and serve:  thaw steak and reserve marinade.  Preheat grill on medium, then cook steak about 6-8 minutes per side.  Baste as you flip with marinade.

This is also delicious served cold after it has been sliced thin.  It makes a nice appetizer to share for a party with little dinner rolls.  For dinner, it goes nicely with new potatoes and carrots.

Holiday Treat of the Week - Sour Cream Coffee Cake

This coffee cake freezes beautifully and will make you look like the "hostess with the most-est" when you pull it out for unexpected company or drop it off to a new neighbor or a friend who is under the weather.
  • 8 oz sour cream
  • 2 C sugar
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 C flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
For Topping
Mix together:
  • 1/2 C chopped nuts
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp sugar
Bring all ingredients to room temperature.  Mix sugar, butter, eggs, salt, and vanilla.  Add sour cream and blend together.  In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder; add slowly to sugar/butter mixture.  Pour about 1/2 of the batter into a well greased Bundt pan (I use Baker's Joy).  Sprinkle half of the topping on top.  Add the rest of the batter, then the remaining topping.  Bake at 350 degrees for 65-70 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.  To freeze, cool completely and wrap well in plastic wrap, then foil.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny, Good morning to you! I love the flank steak recipe as I've been wondering how to even cook flank steak. The marinade sounds good!

    Thanks so much for your very kind wish for my sister. hugs, tina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...