Thursday, September 16, 2010

Show Minus 2! Star Wares

We're getting down to the wire now, folks, and I'm busily adding sleeves and labels to my show quilts.

One of the new features at this show is the Star Wares table, where items handmade by guild members will be for sale - everything from pin cushions to patchwork Santas made from old quilts, thread catchers to a sashiko purse!

In my amazing ability to procrastinate, I have come up with a few little things to donate.  First, Melinda was so kind as to give me permission to use her travel tissue cover tutorial.  Aren't they cute?  This is a good time to remind everyone about asking permission whenever you use someone else's pattern - they usually say yes, but it is good manners (and sometimes a legal issue) to ask first.  Thanks, Melinda!

I also made a few fabric postcards.  I love this fabric, and was never sure what to do with it.  I think it will be a hit!

Then I wanted to make another Kindle cover, but I needed them fast.  I didn't want to fiddle with binding, and didn't even quilt them.  I also wanted a more rounded edge for the flap.  So the pattern I like to use for friends and family wasn't going to work.

I made mine with two complementary fabrics.  Cut a 10" x 18" rectangle from each.  Layer them right sides together with a piece of batting the same size and stitch around the edge, leaving an opening for turning.

Trim the excess batting.  Then I folded it in half lengthwise, laid a circle template (I used an embroidery hoop) on one edge and trimmed around it.

Stitch that new curved edge...

...and turn.  Press well.

Now is a good time to figure out your Velcro or button placement and add it.  Fold the square edge up a little less than a third of the way and stitch all the way around the arch (I didn't stitch over the fold at the bottom, but you could.)

Find the right placement for the Velcro or button hole on the flap and Voila!

I hope the locals will come see us at the show on Saturday or Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...