Friday, March 10, 2017

Going to Guild - Virginia Greaves

Monday night was guild night, and our speaker was Virginia Greaves.  While all of Virginia's work is beautiful, she is known for creating incredible portraits of people and animals with fusible applique and dense quilting. I have linked to her website so you can see better quality photographs of her work.


Local peeps will recognize Virginia's quilt, Worn, from the 2015 East Cobb Quilt Show where it won the Best of Show award. Apparently both this and another of her quilts, Worry, were both inspired by the photography of Dorothea Lange, and ignited all kinds of controversy, which I won't bother to link to. I have no doubt that these quilts are art.


It's astonishing how she is able to capture facial expressions and skin tones and light. Her fabric choices, when examined up close, are genius. She uses prints to create texture and shadow and depth.


The horses below, Justice & Freedom, have so many different colors in them - purples and blues and greens - that read black and brown from a distance.


During the break, I had a funny moment. A visitor, Lisa, asked me if I go by Jennifer (which is on my name tag). I replied, as always, that I answer to anything, and she asked if I were Quiltin' Jenny! I think this is the first time I've been "recognized." It turns out that Lisa is a fan of Frances and Pam and The Stitch TV Show, and asked Pam's advice on finding a quilt guild when moving north of Atlanta.

Thanks, Pam, for directing another quilter to our guild and giving me a teensy tiny glimpse of your QuiltCon experience with being famous!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...