Monday, November 29, 2010

Going to Guild - Challenge Quilts

I realized that, in my absence, I never showed you the challenge quilts!  Since the next guild meeting is in a week, I guess I'd better get on it.

Just to refresh your memory, the challenge details are here.

I was supposed to be a little early for last month's meeting, both because I was in charge of the challenge and because it was my turn to bring food.  Murphy's Law kicked in, and I was racing to get there on time (forget early!) after the Bear's basketball practice.  I had no idea how we were going to display the quilts, how many people had actually completed one, and how on earth we were going to entertain the troops if only two people showed up with a completed challenge quilt.

Not to worry.  I arrived to this:
November 1, 2010 ~ QOV Challenge
...and nearly burst into tears.  Suzanne had been planning, and the rest of the Stars had obviously jumped in to assist.  The quilts were hung...oh! so many beautiful quilts!

It was awesome to hear the stories behind each "home" and to see how each quilter incorporated her colors into the finished work.  I welled up a little each time someone said, "This is for donation."  "This is for the troops."  "This is for Quilts of Valor."

In the end, there were 28 completed quilts with 13 donated.  I will show you more pictures over the next few days, but look at these beautiful awards Suzanne made.  At the top are the little house beads that each participant earned for her nametag. 




In the meantime, I am working with a friend whose brother is safely home after three deployments.  They are going to help me find soldiers for the quilts, and I will definitely bring you pictures of that.

Thank you, Allison, for the awesome idea, and Alycia for her information and support.

Hope you all have a great week!

P.S.  True confessions - I never got my challenge finished.  But I WILL!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...