Monday, February 8, 2010

Made by You Monday - Taco Soup



Anyone playing at Skip to My Lou? Today's "Made by You" is about quick and easy meals. This one is apparently an old favorite - someone even said it was originally a Weight Watchers recipe - but I just found it recently. Quick, easy, perfect for carpool days and late sport nights. Warm on a winter's night with very little work.

Taco Soup
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or turkey (I use turkey)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 pckg taco seasoning
  • 2-3 C water
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn (I use frozen)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 can green chiles
Brown ground meat with onion until onions are tender. Drain fat. Put all ingredients into a crock pot on high and stir. It's done when hot. My kids love this with some quick cheese quesadillas.

If you are in a hurry, you can just heat it through in a large pot instead of using the crock pot. I prefer to prepare it just before getting the kids so that it simmers while I run carpool and drive back and forth to LAX or football or basketball practice.

My favorite part of this is that all of the ingredients can be kept on hand for a day that turns suddenly crazy. Keep the corn and turkey in the freezer, and all of the canned goods in your pantry for nights when dinner plans seem like one too many chores.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness~ We eat Taco Soup all the time....of course yours seems a bit healthier...I don't use ground turkey...miss the flavor(aka fat) too much! And I don't add water, I am guessing mine is a little less "soupy?" (is that a word?) Anyway...kudos to you for sharing it! Have a great week! Becky at www.catheychaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...