Saturday, February 6, 2010

Field Trip with the WannaBees - Red Hen and Little Quilts

Thursday the WannaBees went on a field trip. We started off at Red Hen Fabrics in Marietta. This was very exciting to me, since I had never been before. First of all, can I say how cute this place is? I love the whole theme carried through the store, from the moment you walk in to the back walls.
From the outside and the name, you might expect a store that is full of traditional stuff, but you would be surprised!

I couldn't get over the batiks and fossils and the kits and tools. Lots of samples on the wall for inspiration and pleasure, too! But my favorite thing about this store is this:

They have three longarm machines that you can rent by the hour to quilt your own quilts! All that is required is an introductory lesson ($50 for a 2 1/2 hour one-on-one session) and a $20 deposit when you work. They will also quilt for you starting at $0.025/square inch.

Next we moved on to Little Quilts, also in Marietta.

This is a truly traditional shop, located in a charming old house. If you are looking for wool or reproduction fabrics, try here first.

But that's not to say that they don't have the brights or the latest patterns! Little Quilts has a great selection of the new designers, fabrics, and books. I was thrilled to find the Clover pen that I have been looking for.
I love this little corner in the notions room - it looks like all of the quilt "names" who have visited have been asked to sign the wall. There are so many familiar signatures, from Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith to Marianne Fons and Liz Porter! (I wonder why they didn't ask me to sign?)


Of course, no day with the WannaBees can end on an empty stomach! We finished up our chilly day with soup, salads, and sandwiches at Panera. Doesn't Jackie look great? I love the cute hat her sister made her!

Hope you have a day full of new adventures, good friends, and lots of fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...