Sunday, September 22, 2013

Holiday Grand Plan - Week 4

Holiday Grand Plan

It's Week 4 of the Holiday Grand Plan! How's it going?

It's another week that presents a real challenge for me - the Master Bedroom. This room tends to be the dumping ground in my house because no one goes in there.  It's where clothes that need to be mended or donated or ironed pile up; it's where toys and books and furniture that the kids don't want in their rooms anymore get stacked; it's where my sewing space is.  I think that about sums it up right there. 

This is a little bit like my office; it never gets to that immaculate Better Homes and Gardens look that I keep in my mind, but it does get a little better every year when I hit this week.  Right now, the bed is made, the ironing and mending is in a giant basket, and the donations have been donated.  My sewing area is far from perfect, but there is a clean work table with just my Star Surround quilt on it. 

I have a friend who cleans her bedroom first because she believes firmly that the whole rest of the house and her family's attitude stems from her having a serene and restful night's sleep.  Isn't that amazing?  I want to be her when I grow up. 

This week we are continuing with the freezer meals and goodies to share.  I'll be making a double batch of Gina's Crock Pot Creamy Tomato Soup on Tuesday, along with the Russian Tea Cakes that are required in our house over the holidays. 

We're adding gift shopping this week.  Remember that list you made?  We're trying to get 1/8 of it bought, wrapped, and ready for shipping.  I will be trying to get my list for shipping to my brother's family taken care of, since they are the only out of towners.  Luckily they are easy because we only shop for the kids, and what could be more fun than shopping for my only niece and nephew...and Batman! 

This is also the week to check your linens and see if anything needs to be replaced.  Guest sheets and towels?  Tablecloths and napkins?  Do you have enough dish towels? 

Have a great week!  I think I've shared these before, but here's Mom's Russian Tea Cake recipe in case you're looking for something to bake.  These freeze beautifully.


Holiday Treat of the Week - Russian Tea Cakes
  • 1 C butter
  • 1/2 C powdered sugar, plus some for dusting
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/4 C flour
  • 3/4 C finely chopped nuts
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Mix butter, sugar, and vanilla.  Stir in flour, nuts, and salt.  Shape into 1" balls and bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes.  Immediately roll in more powdered sugar.  Cool and roll again.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...