Friday, April 19, 2013

FMQ Friday - Solace

Free Motion Quilting Friday

Today is Free Motion Quilting Friday over at Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting Project.

The rules are simple:
  1. Link up with a post that features something about Free Motion Quilting (FMQ). 
  2. Somewhere in your post, you must link back to Leah's site, or you can just post the FMQF button in your sidebar. 
  3. Comment on at least a few of the other FMQF links. Share your love of free motion quilting and make this weekly link up a fun way to connect!  
So it's been some helluva week, right?  It's getting to the point where I just want to go back to bed and pull the covers over my head - no news, no phone or facebook or twitter...nothing except a few episodes of 24 because I know Jack will get the bad guys.  On top of all the national news, we've had several people close to us get some shattering health/marriage/job loss news this week as well, and I'm on emotional overload.

Between my new work schedule and the other personal stuff, I've hardly touched my quilting.  Yesterday morning, though, after the news of the explosion in West, Texas, I needed it more than ever.  I pieced the back for the Family Ties quilt and basted it before work.

This morning, my boss asked me not to come in until 10, so I had another chunk of time to quilt and soothe my anxious heart with fabric. I'm so grateful.


I'm just getting started, but I love this quilt so much already.  My only concern after starting this spiral is that it is too dense a quilting pattern for a newborn.  I'm seriously considering ripping it out, which might be the straw that breaks the camels back and sends me right around the bend.  But I want it to be right.  Thoughts?
 
By the way, the baby girl for whom I'm making it is now officially EIGHT days late.  Good for me; not so much for her poor mama who is ready to get this show on the road. 



7 comments:

  1. Any quilting is good for a baby quilt, so I wouldn't waste the time and energy of ripping those nice swirls! My first was 10 days late, but would have gone later if we'd let him...so I feel the pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are advantages to denser stitching. A loved quilt will need repeated washings. The denser quilting will help it keeps its shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would not rip it out. :D It looks great. And it will hold up well to washing with more quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't rip it... I think it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I avoid ripping at all costs. Sometimes it's necessary, but not in this case! It looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not rip it out, it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...