Thursday, January 10, 2013

Prayer Quilt Ministry

Our church started a new ministry a few years ago to make quilts for people on the prayer list.  These are simple lap sized quilts that are tied.  Some of the members make tops to bring; sometimes the group works on a top together.  At the meetings, the quilts are basted and tied while praying for the recipient.  We leave the ties long so that others can add a knot and a prayer later.



I've been meaning to join these ladies for awhile, but only recently made it to a meeting.  No sooner had I attended one workday and the Christmas lunch than we found out that one of the members was leaving for an adventure - she and her husband have sold their house and are preparing to hike the Appalachian trail!

Of course we needed to make her a quilt, but we didn't have much time.  We each made a Bear's Paw block, and I transferred our group picture onto the center of one of the blocks.  We had a secret work day last week to put the top and back together, and then I brought it home to quilt.


Since I was short on time I just did a simple meander, but I'm so happy with how it turned out!


My goal for sharing with this group will be to make one top per month out of my stash.  I hope this will bless many people, including myself! 



4 comments:

  1. Jenny - I've got lots of fabrics suitable for grown-ups (hence not good for Project Linus), and would love to send you some tops if you'd like them for the group. Would that be okay? Or I'd be happy to just donate some fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! I'll reply via email, but we are always in need of masculine looking tops. Surprise surprise!

      Thanks, Pam!

      Delete
  2. Great work! I made about 1 top per month out of my stash last year for my guild. It was very easy (simple checkerboard blocks) and really didn't feel like it impinged on my other quilting time. I also felt great everytime I turned a quilt top in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bear claws are wonderful. Good luck with your goal - I'm sure it will definitely bless many lives.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...