Thursday, October 10, 2013

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - An Irish Blessing

Quiltin Jenny


It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.

Today's quilt is an Irish Chain quilt that I made for my cousin's daughter, Clare, back in 2004.  Clare turned nine earlier this week, so I thought it would be fitting to show you her baby quilt.  The pictures are terrible - sorry!  

My cousin Dave's wife comes from a really Irish family.  Kim was even born on St. Patrick's Day!  I didn't have to think too hard to come up with a pattern for them. 

  
I can't remember for sure, but I think they chose not to find out that Clare was a girl until she was born.  I fell in love with this alphabet print, and couldn't find the right green.  I agonized over whether this purple was too girly, but in the end decided that a baby probably wouldn't care.  I got lucky!


This was some of my earliest FMQing, and I'm really proud of the Celtic knot design that I found for the middle.  I marked it and everything.  It's hard to see here because, again, I had to dig up old pictures and scan them in.  Which is kind of the point of #TBT, I guess.

I called this quilt An Irish Blessing and included one I found on the label.  It reads:
May God grant you many years to live,
for sure He must be knowing
The earth has angels far too few
and Heaven is overflowing.
 

...aaaannd I just realized there is a typo on the label.  Can you find it?  I can't believe no one noticed (or told me) so I could fix that.  

I try to put extra info on each label so that future generations can figure out where this quilt came from, and how so many Georgia quilts ended up in Poughkeepsie, New York. 

Happy birthday, Clare!  We love you!

Now I want to see your blast from the past.  Link up and let us all see!







3 comments:

  1. Love the colors on this and great quilting!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a beautiful gift and I really like the blessing. I hope God will "grand" her long life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...