I have an ulcer.
Yeah. That's the upshot of all these stupid tests I've been having. Unfortunately - and this is not something a doctor says every day - my ulcer is not big enough. That is, it's not big enough to explain why I'm so anemic, so they are doing more tests. I am probably - at this very moment - swallowing some vile tasting liquid that shows up on x-rays and probably isn't all that great for you either. (Thank you, auto post.)
As a result of the many doctor's appointments I've had in the last five months, I've also had to get on the scale more times than I normally do in an average...year?...and so it's been pounded into my head that I am overweight. Like I didn't know that already.
All that to say that I'm really working hard to plan meals, avoid eating out as much as possible, and eat healthier. The Pit Boss is happy because he would like to lose a few pounds himself, and because the home cooking thing dovetails so nicely with our Dave Ramsey
I'm going to join up with Menu Plan Monday as a way of keeping myself accountable. Also because The Pit Boss has come up with a fun challenge this week to keep life interesting, and I thought I'd share.
I was looking for crock pot recipes on one of my favorite healthy recipe sites, Skinnytaste, when TPB suggested we take a challenge to incorporate some new dishes into our rotation. His idea was to try the first six recipes that came up in the crock pot category. We each got one skip. They did not have to eaten in that exact order.
Here's our challenging menu for the week. Actually, I think it looks great. As a bonus, he went to the store yesterday while I was at the Atlanta Modern Quilt Guild meeting, so he's on the Husband of the Year list.
- Last night we made the Easiest Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken. This was delicious! My only suggestion is to double the chicken (no need to double the sauce I don't think) if you have teenagers because my family took no prisoners on this one. They loved it and ate every little bit.
- Tonight I'm making Slow Cooked Jerked Pork with Caribbean Salsa.
- Tomorrow I'm making the Sesame Honey Chicken. I've made this before and it's a favorite, but it was in the first six so it's on the list. I'm going to stir fry some fresh veggies and serve it all over steamed rice.
- Wednesday is the Turkey and Gravy with Gina's Skinny Mashed Potatoes.
- Thursday we're having the Crock Pot Italian Sloppy Joe with a tossed salad.
- Friday it's Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins. Which doesn't really sound like a meal to me but TPB is very excited. We'll see.
So tell me, do you menu plan? What are you eating this week?