Friday, October 28, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival

I've been sooooo AWOL but I couldn't miss out on Bloggers' Quilt Festival.

Amy'sCreativeSide

I love this, not only because I'm sad not to be in Houston, but also because I try to visit every single entry and always find new and creative blogs that I had never heard of before.


For my entry, I thought I'd share this quilt that I made in 2003.  It is called Bright Hopes, and was a donation to my children's elementary school. 

First, I asked each child in The Bear's kindergarten year what they wanted to be when they grow up.  The answers ranged from the hilarious to the ambitious to the tear jerker.  I printed the answers in fabric pen on 4 1/2" squares of white muslin.

I bought four batiks in each of four colors.  Then I made this block, called Bright Hopes.  This was a true sacrificial gift for me because it involved Y-seams!  But Marcia over at Quilter's Cache has simplified it for you so you don't have to deal with that.  


I cut 1 1/2" strips of each fabric, and added them to the muslin squares.  Then I arranged the blocks so that the colors moved in a diagonal wave through the quilt.


I added a muslin border and hand quilted the name of the school, the year, and a poem I wrote with a jewel toned, variegated thread.  The poem reads:

What will you be when you grow tall?
Will you be famous?  Admired by all?
What will you look like?  What will you do?
Who will you love?  Who will love you?
Just keep in mind when you're put to the test...
You're a hero to me if you give it your best!
 
I  also hand quilted intersecting circles between each block, but not overlapping any of the muslin.

I printed the poem on the label so it could be read, and bound it in the brightly colored scraps.  I was thrilled that the quilt raised over $2000 for the school!

I hope you like it.  Be sure to visit all of the other quilters in the festival!




 

10 comments:

  1. Una idea stupenda!
    Bella la trapunta!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is bright and pretty and I love the idea of the little ones joining in - Super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Hungary. I love the abstract pattern .. beautiful colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was initially drawn in by the colors and now finding the story so sweet. Great quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quilt's story. It is a very beautiful and thoughtful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely vibrant quilt. How precious to have the children's input. Great! Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Holy wow! What a great idea! Great poem, great colors, and great for you that it raised so much money for the school. Love th story of this quilt and to think of all those kids growing up to be whatever they want to be! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute idea makes for a cute quilt! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fab quilt, and great colour combo, and a lovely thing to have done, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...