Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolution - Bountiful Harvest

It seems that all of my resolutions are intertwined.  This article about gardening and childhood obesity connects at least two of them.

This year we were able to enjoy a small sampling of delights from the "garden" (translation:  collection of pots and a Topsy Turvy), and in 2011 I hope to bring in a more bountiful harvest.  We finally got rid of our old wooden playset - yay Freecycle! -  but the guy who took it didn't need the sandbox frame.  He suggested that we use it to make a raised bed and start small.  

Over the summer I managed to take pictures of different areas of the yard to see which spots get the most sun.  I hope to have at least one sunny day when I can move the frame, share the sand around to our other beds, add soil and compost. That will not be this weekend, however, as they are predicting snow again!  Inconceivable! 


Sorry.  Ahem...

So far I've managed to grow tomatoes, bell peppers, and zucchini along with the bountiful herbs I've had for years.  Right now I'm trying to decide what to add more of, and what new vegetables to introduce.  I also want to give the blueberries another shot - last time we planted them Daisy dug them up mercilessly.  I don't know why she hates those plants so much, but she just couldn't leave them alone.  What she didn't dig up, the birds ate.  I think I may be investing in some chicken wire and bird netting this year!

Sadly, this cartoon sums up my typical gardening activities.

What does your garden grow?  Any suggestions, must have plants, or fair warning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...