Monday, February 6, 2012

Clean Your Machine!

This is a public service announcement:  Clean Your Machine!

While I was sewing my next Modern Block, my bobbin finally ran out (yay, Aurifil!) so I decided it was as good a time as any to vacuum out my machine and change my needle.

I wish I had taken a picture of the dust in there! UGH! Even though I do this fairly regularly and haven't been sewing anything particularly fuzzy, I did skip the last bobbin refill because the vacuum cleaner was downstairs and I'm lazy.
Also, I'm sure the work going on in my house doesn't help.


P.S.  This is what I use to clean out my machine.  I have been told that the compressed air is not a good thing (nor is just blowing on it!) because that can actually force the dust further into the machine.



2 comments:

  1. That's a good idea. I clean mine with a qtip when I change bobbins but I've never vacuumed. I'm always surprised how much lint comes out too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn,
    I use a similar attachment for my vacuum but like most guys (like Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor Allen on "Home Improvement") I made some modifications.
    In order to extend the tip of the nozzle deeper into the works of the machine, I taped a soda straw to the end of the nozzle. I had to try several until I found one that fit correctly but I did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...