Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Going Green - Seventh Generation Dishwasher Detergent

One of the things Jillian's book brought up, besides diet and exercise, is environment. I walk a fine line with this issue - I have always been on the recycling bandwagon, and it physically hurts me to waste paper, but the so-called green health & beauty or cleaning products have been a hard sell.

After reading MYM, though, I decided to give the issue another look with an open mind. These products are far more accessible and less expensive than they used to be, and logic dictates that they have improved in efficacy as well.

I'm not going crazy and throwing out everything in my house any more than I did with the food. Just like with my pantry and fridge, I've decided that when I run out of something, I'll replace it with a greener/healthier alternative. Then I'll see what I think and share the results (lucky you!). I'd love some input if you've already tried any of these products.

First, of course, because we go through them so quickly, are the cleaning products. I run my dishwasher nightly, especially now that I'm preparing 3 meals and a snack for everyone every day! So that's first on my list. I bought the 7th Generation Dishwasher Detergent. You should have seen me agonizing over my options. I chose the powder, knowing it takes less fuel to ship, but the former septic tank owner in me kept reaching for the liquid.

So far I've used it for a week and cannot tell any difference whatsoever between it and the Cascade All-In-One Action Packs. We'll see if soap residue starts to build up or if I need a rinsing agent as time goes by, but so far so good.

Please give me a shout if you have any suggestions for brands or products to try. I am wandering in the wilderness on this topic!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jenny. I've had great success and no residue with white vinegar in the rinse section of the DW. I also use it to rinse clothes in the washer.

    I'm inspired about your adventures with Jillian and MYM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...