Wednesday, July 11, 2012

WannaBees Visit A Scarlet Thread


I missed the shopping trip to pick out ugly a unifying fabric for the WannaBees house blocks, but there was no way I was going to skip the field trip to A Scarlet Thread!  I had a generous gift certificate from my in-laws burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas, and the home renovations had kept me from spending it.

I love how they have shopping carts - and Lene needed one!
I didn't take many pictures, but we had a blast.  The store was featured in the spring/summer 2012 Quilt Sampler magazine and had kits, displays, and sales to celebrate.

Aside from the fabric I needed for my block, I also found this adorable pattern by Lazy Girl Designs.  The pattern calls for 10" squares of fabric, so I practically had to buy a layer cake - I chose Bonnie and Camille's Vintage Modern.  It is the perfect size for my phone (even in the bulky Otter Box) and a few bucks.  I made one for Gracie to bring as a birthday party gift with a Target card and some candy tucked inside.  It was a big hit and, on request, I made another one for my cousin, Rachael, for her birthday.  They go together so quick and easy, and are really cute!


My other big purchase was a yard of this laminated fabric.  I have never sewn on this before, and am trying to decide if I really need a Teflon foot.  Suggestions?  They showed the cutest umbrella, but the skeleton alone was pretty pricey.  I still can't get it off my mind, though, so I'm thinking about trying this method from ModKidBoutique.  


I also love that they have a little scrap bin by the register with bits of fabric for a quarter each.  This was perfect for pulling out a few different browns for my bedroom furniture. 

We'll be getting together next week to show off all of our blocks, so I'd better get sewing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...