Sunday, July 27, 2008

Food, Fun, and Family

What a wonderful weekend! We celebrated my mom's 65th birthday last night with a completely indulgent dinner at EastSide. Bob brought out the most gorgeous platter of antipasti that he created just for her. It had everything from little Caprese bites with fresh mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes to prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears; from the traditional roasted peppers and olives to the inspired fresh blackberries that just looked too perfect to leave out. It was delicious and beautiful and left us almost too full for dinner.


Somehow we managed, though, because he had also made veggie lasagne and chicken florentine and penne with sausage. When it came time for dessert, I took matters into my own hands and brought out this cake that I had found at one of my favorite food blogs, No Fear Entertaining, for July 4th weekend. Mom really loved it, so I recreated it - this time without needing her to rescue me from the whipping cream fiasco!
So all in all it was a very yummy evening! The best part was that my FIL felt up to joining us, so our whole little family was together. I couldn't ask for anything more...unless my brother and his crew could teleport home. Or MOVE! But I digress.

The icing on the cake (I know, I know) was that Jan the Longarmer called to tell me that my Kaleidoscope Dreams quilt is done! It must be record time. She said she just couldn't stand to have it hanging over her head while she was on vacation, so she worked like crazy to finish it. (Why, oh why, couldn't I get just a touch of that work ethic???) I picked it up today and cannot wait to show it to you. I'll wait until it is bound, hopefully very soon. It turned out just lovely with all the swirls and points and swoops.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend as well. Sweet kaleidoscope dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...