Monday, April 14, 2008

Clean

So I was reading my friend Kate's blog post about making her own laundry detergent and I couldn't resist trying it out myself. One of the comments she got on her original post was that she has two little girls, and the poster wanted to see how the homemade stuff stood up to a load of boy clothes.

Let me tell you, I put it up against the ultimate in boy clothes - a load of the stuff my husband and sons (ages 11 and 13) wore to play paintball on Sunday in the muddy cold. The before and after pictures say it all:


The clothes came out at least as clean as when I use regular detergent plus OxiClean, if not cleaner. They definitely smelled better. It's not so much a scent, but a lack of scent and a definite clean air smell. Like clear water or fresh air. In fact, I like this new concoction so much that I've been using it for every load, including my delicates. I can't wait to try it on a quilt.

Speaking of quilts, I finally finished piecing my last kaleidoscope blocks based on your voting. Since there were four blocks that were definitely in the lead and I only needed three, I had a tough decision. But when I looked at my original set, there was one that jumped out at me and was way too red (bottom left corner in the first picture). So I took that one out and made the four winners. Thanks for voting! I'll keep you up to date as I work on this quilt.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it! Did you try it with Ivory or with the original recipe? My next batch will definitely be with a different soap, I can't stand the smell of the Fels Naptha anymore even though the clothes don't come out smelling like it. I'm quite impressed how well it worked on paintball clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny! I was looking over your blog and I just love your fabric choices for the Orange Crush! So bright and cheery! I am also doing this quilt but I'm not sure I like my fabrics that I picked, but I'll live with it. :)
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...