Sunday, August 14, 2011

Recipe - Mushroom Pork Roll Ups

The Pit Boss and I are on this whackadoo 21 day cleanse that he got from my crazy liberal brother when he had a work trip out to California last month.  Apparently my brother and sister-in-law are looking mighty buff and healthy these days (I'll find out myself when they arrive later today) and The Pit Boss wanted in on their secret. 

We're two weeks in, and it hasn't been as bad as I anticipated.  The only thing is that it gets a little boring grilling chicken one night, pork tenderloin the next.  And throw in some ground turkey every few days for variety.  I decided there had to be something good I could eat that was gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free...and a whole list of other things. 

Here's what I came up with, and it was delicious!

Mushroom Pork

Ingredients:
  • package or two of boneless pork tenderloin chops, sliced thin
  • egg
  • Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour (or breadcrumbs if you're not in whackadoo land)
  • package of sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • small sweet onion, cut into quarters
  • clove of garlic
  • olive oil
First I put the garlic, onion, and mushrooms into my food processor and pulsed it until it was chopped finely.

I dumped this into a skillet with a little olive oil and sauteed it until it was fragrant and soft.


Then I  beat the egg with a little water and dipped the pork chops in it.


Then into the flour (or breadcrumbs):


I put a spoonful of the mushroom mix in the center of the pork chop and rolled it up, ala Gina at Skinnytaste.


I snuggled them up in baking dish, spooned the rest of the mushrooms over the top, and popped them into a 325 degree oven for 25 minutes. 


While the pork was baking, I made some quinoa and sauteed some spinach in the same leftover olive oil and garlic pan.  It smelled so good that I didn't even take a plate picture, but it was quick and yummy!

Things I might try next time:
  • making my own GF breadcrumbs to use in place of the almond flour or trying harder to find some at the store.
  • browning these a little first before baking them.  I didn't do this because I didn't have any toothpicks or baking twine. 
Let me know what you think if you try it out!


1 comment:

  1. Jen, that looks terrific. You rock in the kitchen. Try crushed potato chips for a gluten free, bread crumb type coating. BBQ chips are good to try also. Let me know if you need me to be a taste tester!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...