Thursday, September 26, 2013

#TBT - Throwback Thursday - Happy Birthday Reinbear!

Quiltin Jenny

It's Throwback Thursday here at Quiltin' Jenny, and I hope you'll link up and share your own creative adventures from your pre-blogging days.

Today's entry is not a quilt.  In honor of the Bear's 17th birthday today, I thought I'd share one of my few forays into garment sewing.

When the Bear was three we took him to visit Santa; he asked for a reindeer costume.  He didn't want to be a reindeer for Halloween, and he didn't want a stuffed reindeer.  He wanted to be a reindeer.  On Christmas.

You try finding a reindeer costume.  Keep in mind, this was fourteen years ago before you could shop online for anything you could dream of.  We had dial up internet, people.  Do you understand what I was up against?

Out of sheer maternal love and determination, I actually found a pattern.  (It could have even been this one.  Vintage?  Really?  I'm not that old!)  It wasn't that hard to make; not even the headband antlers.  I was so proud of myself and couldn't wait to see the look on his face.

Anyone who has children can see where this is going.  He took one look at it and moved on to the next gift.  He didn't even seem to remember asking for it, looking at me with those chubby cheeks and an expression that said, "Dude. What the heck?"  He cried when we suggested that he put it on.

I was crushed, but tried not to show it.  I'm sure it helped a lot that I was about ten weeks pregnant with Grace and probably not emotional all.  

Finally, after most of the chaos of the day had died down, his daddy talked him into putting on the costume so we could take a picture.  He consented for about five minutes, and even wore the antlers and nose for this one snapshot.


He never wore it again.  I kept it for a long time thinking Grace might wear it or that it could be repurposed.  I finally gave it away to a friend whose much more agreeable child was delighted to wear it for Halloween.

I don't tell you this story as a failure; even though the Bear didn't love this the way I had hoped, it was an accomplishment for me just to take on a project that made me so uncomfortable and finish it during the craziness of the holidays.

Plus, this picture just cracks me up every time I look at it.  It is so him.  The kid has been marching to his own drummer since before he could walk, and I love the way his mind works.  He is smart and funny and quick with words.  He acts so tough but is the most loving and sensitive guy.

He's also not crazy about it when he makes it onto the blog, so I try to respect that most of the time.  For today, though, he'll have to get over it.

Happy birthday, Bear!  We love you so much!

Now I want to see your blast from the past.  Link up and let us all see!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...